fbpx Skip to main content
  (334) 347-2623

Get a jumpstart on your college career while easing the transition from high school to college. Dual enrollment allows students to take courses through ESCC which count towards both your high school diploma as well as college credit for your future. It is a great option for getting a head start on training for the workforce and making a transition into a successful college experience. Some of our dual-enrollment students even graduate from college before their high school graduation!

You’ll also save money. Tuition at ESCC is significantly less than tuition at a four-year institution, and scholarships may be available. If you are interested, discuss your plans with your high school counselor to determine what is the best solution for your needs. ESCC’s Dual Enrollment office works closely with your high school counselor and is available to assist you in finding success as a Dual Enrollment student.

Who qualifies?

Students in the 10th, 11th or 12th grade with a 2.5 unweighted grade point average are eligible to participate in Dual Enrollment. Speak with your high school guidance counselor to get started.

Dual Enrollment for Dual Credit

Don’t want to take the same class twice? Earn high school and college credits at the same time for courses required by both high school and college curriculums. Enterprise State offers dual enrollment opportunities for high school students on their own high school campus or on any ESCC campus.

Learn more about Dual Credit

Accelerated High School Credit

Are you a highly motivated high school student who wants to earn credit toward your college degree? ESCC offers accelerated credit for students with a 3.0 or better grade point average. If a course you wish to take is not required for high school graduation, you can pursue accelerated college credit while you are still in high school.

Learn more about Accelerated Credit

Testing & Assessment

To qualify for dual enrollment Math or English courses at ESCC, you must meet certain placement criteria. You may qualify for these courses with either your ACT score, current high school GPA and grades, or Accuplacer Placement Assessment score.

Scholarships Available!

Scholarship funds are available for eligible students taking Career-Technical Education (CTE) courses for dual enrollment credit, leading to a degree or certificate in high wage, high demand careers. The CTE Scholarships provide funding for tuition, fees and textbooks for career-tech programs.

Learn more about CTE Scholarships

Transferring Credits to Another School

Students planning to transfer to a public university in Alabama can use Alabama Transfers to ensure all courses will transfer. Students planning to transfer to private universities or universities outside of Alabama, will need to contact an advisor at the school in which they plan to attend to discuss transfer credits.

Alabama Transfers

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is Dual Enrollment?

A: Dual Enrollment offers high school students an opportunity to complete college-level coursework that will meet the requirements for high school graduation and may be applied toward a college degree.

Q: How do I know if I’m eligible for Dual Enrollment?

A: The criteria for being a Dual Enrollment student are outlined on page 9, but if you are in the 10th, 11th or 12th grade in high school and have a cumulative, unweighted GPA of 2.5, we recommend that you speak with your counselor about the program.

Q: Will I need to take the ACT before I take classes?

A: A placement score is needed to determine students’ eligibility for certain classes, such as English or Math. The ACT is one exam that is used, and the other is ACCUPLACER, available through ESCC.

Q: How do I get started?

A: Complete the Admissions process to become an Enterprise State Community College student. Complete and submit all of the required Dual Enrollment forms. Take the ACCUPLACER test or submit your ACT scores to the Dual Enrollment Office. Register for classes through the Dual Enrollment Office and your high school. Pay for your classes.

Q: How much does it cost?

A: Dual enrollment students pay ESCC tuition and fees (significantly less than a 4-year institution) based on the number of semester credit hours. Payment is required at the time of registration for classes. Dual Enrollment students are also required to purchase books and materials for each class.

Q: Do my courses transfer to other colleges and universities?

A: In most cases, ESCC courses do transfer to other colleges and universities. To ensure classes transfer register with Alabama Transfers. Alabama Transfers provides information on courses that transfer from ESCC to Alabama’s public four-year institutions. For more information on transfer credit in Alabama, visit alabamatransfers.com

Q: If my high school is closed for any reason, am I still required to attend my dual enrollment class?

A: Dual Enrollment students must follow the academic calendars of both their high school and EESCC. For example, if your high school is closed due to a holiday or inclement weather, but ESCC is open, you are required to attend your college class and complete assignments as assigned. If ESCC is closed, but your high school is open, then you must attend your high school. It is the students’ responsibility to be familiar with the academic calendars of both their high school and ESCC.

Q: Do I qualify for grants or scholarships to pay for my dual enrollment classes?

A: Dual enrollment students not eligible to apply for Pell Grant or student loans because of quality, students must already have a high school diploma or GED credential. Scholarships through ESCC are currently not available for Dual Enrollment students.

Q: If I take college courses in high school, will that make me ineligible for freshman scholarships to attend college after high school?

A: No matter how many college courses you complete in high school, you would still be considered a freshman entering college and would be eligible for freshman scholarship awards.

Q: What classes can I take as a Dual Enrollment student?

A: Students may enroll in any classes for which they have qualifying placement scores and for which they have met prerequisite course requirements. Prerequisite requirements for courses are listed in the courses described in the College Catalog.

Q: What is the difference between Dual Enrollment and Advanced Placement credit?

A: Students completing an Advanced Placement course receive high school credit, but they have to earn a passing score on the end-of-the-course AP exam to earn subsequent college placement credit for the course. Students successfully completing a college class automatically receive both high school and college credit for the course.

Q: What is the difference between Dual Enrollment and Accelerated students?

A: Accelerated high school students enroll in college courses for college credit only. Dual Enrollment students enroll in college courses for both college credit and high school credit.

Q: What college courses can I take?

A: A dual enrollment student can take any college-level course (100-level courses and above) for which the student is eligible and has been approved by the high school.

Q: Is financial aid available for Dual Enrollment Courses?

A: Academic Dual Enrollment

While high school students are not eligible for Pell grants, students may apply for scholarship funds provided by the College or other entities, if allowable.

Career and Technical Education Dual Enrollment

Students wishing to enroll in Career and Technical Education Dual Enrollment programs may request for funding through the Career and Technical Education Dual Enrollment (CTEDE) Scholarship which provides funding for tuition and fees. If enough funding is available and at the discretion of the College, the CTEDE Scholarship may also cover the cost of textbooks, materials, and supplies as required in the syllabus of each course. CTEDE Scholarship funds may also be used to cover costs of specific academic course(s) that are required in the eligible CTE program of study but must be taken concurrently with the CTE course(s).

Q: What programs are eligible for the Workforce Scholarship Career Technical funding?

A: Currently, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Avionics Technology, Business Administration and Management (Accounting option), Child Development, Computer Information System, Emergency Medical Services, Paralegal, Mechatronics, Medical Assisting Technology, Office Administration, and Health Information Technology. Approved programs are subject to change from semester to semester.

Enterprise State Community College

Your College, Your Future

Enterprise State Community College offers excellent academic, technical, and workforce training programs in order to prepare students for jobs that are in demand! Our faculty and staff are committed to the educational success of all ESCC students!